Thursday, August 30, 2012

Multitasking Meltdown

Less than a week ago, I posted my grand plans here for how to multitask in the garden. I was going to keep the summer garden firing on all cylinders while simultaneously getting things kick-started on the fall garden. I was totally going to nail this short-season Arizona gardening thing.

Well, I'm guessing you can tell from the title of this post how that is going.

I can't help but be reminded of one of my daughter's picture books. It's called Crafty Chloe and it's fabulous. (Do-it-yourself types will just love reading it to their kids.) There's one picture in there (that is only marginally related to the plot) that really hits home for me. Chloe's mom is trying to multitask, and as a result, ends up  sticking a thermometer in the poor kid's eye:



That's a pretty good metaphor for my attempts at multitasking in the garden. Trying to do more things than are really possible (if I'm going to be really honest with myself) is leading to some unfortunate results. The summer garden is still going strong, but check out some of these seedlings that I'm trying to jump start indoors. The spinach is so desperately trying to stretch up to the grow light that it's turned into some sort of elasti-spinach mutant:



The broccoli ain't doing much better:



I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that planting those spindly little things isn't going to give me much of a jump start on anything. It would probably be a matter of hours (not days) before those little things flopped over and died, putting me right back at square one.

So now I'm looking for a plan B that somehow lets me get the fall garden started while the summer garden is still in. There are a lot of reasons to try to make this happen. Officially, I'll say it's because getting a jump start on the fall garden means I'll get more yields from the plants.

But the real reason I need to find a way to get a new round of vegis started? Because it helps me fool myself into thinking that autumn is just around the corner. The alternative is admitting that this Arizona summer is still in full swing and will be for a while. And I really don't think I can do that.

No comments: